Reading is readily accepted as a focus for area for language education.A chailds education is considered incomplete if the child does not have the ability to read.But in India reading does not get as much importance as it should get.According to NCF 2005 our school syllabus are burdended with information absorbing and memorising takes so pleasure of reading is missed out. Opportunities for individualised reading need to be built at all stage in order to promote a culture of reading and requires nurturing of school and community libraries.
Reading can be classified into the following types:-
- 1.Silent Reading
- 2.Aloud Reading
- 3.Intensive Reading
- Extensive Reading
Importance of Reading Skills
Importance of reading skills are:-
- without being able to read,a human being is deprived of gaining knowledge.
- A person can face many hurdles due to inability to read.
- In today’s world reading helps a person to analyse a situation by reading newspapers,magazines etc. and act accordingly.
- Readind can help a person to utilise his leisure time.
Critical thinking can develop only by vast reading of many thinkers so reading is an integral part of a persons developments.
Characteristics of Reading Skills
Characteristics of Reading skills are :-
- Reading involves complex cognitive skills.
- Reading is selective as it based on the reader’s choise.
- Reading should be clear and fluent.
Reading should be enjoyed with correct intonation and pronunciation.
Aims of reading skills
Aims of reading skills are:-
- Read any language or English with fluency,accuracy and expression.
- Read confidently.
- Able to comprehend the text.
- Cultivate the habit of reading in the learner.
- Reading of additional materials like-story books,poems etc with enjoyment.
- Establish a relationship between spokes and printed words.
Micro-skills involved in reading skill
Micro-skills involved in reading skill are
- Decipher script is an alphabetical system that mean establishing a relationship between sounds and symbols.
- Recognise vocabulary.
- Pick out key words,such as those identifying topics and main ideas.Recognise basic syntactic patterns.
- Reconstruct and infer situations,goals and participants.
- Distinguish the main idea from supporting details.
- Adjust reading strategies to different reading purposes.